10 Tips for Instagram.
Q & A. Questions I get asked often from clients and Friends.
A big one:
How do I build my IG following?
This is an easy/hard one. I can give you tips and tricks to build a big following. The question is- that what you really want?
Do you want to build a real community.
My vote will always be put your time and energy into something real. While you can absolutely have both a large following and authentic connections, you can also create a powerful community without big numbers.
- Make sure your profile is public.
- Pop on your own profile and see how the last 3-6 posts look all together. Lot’s of dark pics/puppy pics/pics from the same event in a row? Mix it up when posting. New visitors only see the first 3-6 to get a whole picture of your feed. That magic mix is all they have to go by in do they want to follow and get to know you.
- Be friendly and say hi! When you read a comment on someone’s feed you follow that truly inspires/shares a great tip/makes you laugh- pop over to their feed and say so! I also @ mention who/where i found them if I got to “meet” through someone else’s post. I grew mostly from just reaching out and saying hi. Good content must be a given.
- Use unique hashtags. Popular ones like #yoga, #essentialoils, #love get buried in seconds.
- Go deeper before wider. Relationships are important to me. Before reaching out to make new friends, take time to reply and comment to the ones you have.
- You only have one link. Choose wisely. A landing page on your website for an email sign up is golden. Avoid the loop of Follow me on Twitter, Let’s be friends on Facebook, Oh- come back and let’s connect on Instagram…you’ll lose them. Sure, change the link every now and then to help users find an awesome resource you just posted about or to help build up a new platform at first. Most of the time that link should direct them to the very best place for them to take action.
- Remember: it’s about them. It’s not about you. Connecting through pug ownership or being a mama is powerful. Be you and share you. And…keep the bulk of your content to be of service and benefit to your readers. How does this post educate? How does it empower? And every now and then just entertain?
And I do have many more. Much more. But the most important? Be real. Be you. So grateful for our connection, friend.
Thank you for that. XO, Amy